Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Chennai "Auto" experience



This is not my first gr8 experience with autos in chennai (*SARCASTIC PUN*). Guys, I was working in Bangalore till sometime back and am back to my roots (Chennai) now. I use Bike as my primary mode of commuting in chennai, I am quite OK with city buses as secondary option.
There was this one instance where I had given my bike at Khivraj(a reputed Bajaj showroom) for servicing. I had to take my bike back from servicing and had to rush to Khivraj(service centre) before closing time. The situation demanded a auto, so I started hunting for an auto. I stay @ triplicane and its almost 1.5 kms from my place to church park school (nearest landmark to khivraj).

Its been sometime since I had travelled in Autos in chennai, I was
previously in Bangalore where auto fellas used to use something known as "METERS" in autos and if it is later than 10 pm it would be 1.5 Meter fare until 6am in the morning.
I was in for a rude shock when I started to search for an auto in
Triplicane, chennai, believe me ppl: the auto fella asked me for 60 bucks for approx 1.5km. I asked him abt the so called METER which was sitting idle for which he replied "it doesn't work sir". I politely refused him and was hunting for another auto, this guy was much better and asked me 50 bucks. I was like "Gimme one valid reason why I should give 50 bucks for covering under 1.5 kms?" for which he replied "Petrol rate has increased". What am I supposed to do for it was the question running on my mind. Even before I could ask it, he shooted "You are working in IT company na, can't you pay 50 bucks?" I sarcastically told him, my company doesn't refund auto fares and asked him abt the showcase(auto meter) which was sitting idle. He got quite bugged up and left. I had to try the same with couple of other autos with no luck, one interesting observation was that if auto fellas are not interesting in going to a area they won't say 'NO' rather they ask for "ransom" fare (*HUMOUR PUN*) which is their sweet own way of saying 'NO". Since, it was quite urgent, I couldn't keep on hunting for auto-rick forever and as luck would have it,finally I did get a auto which passed my way and had to settle with a rickfella for 30 bucks which was nominal when compared with 50-60 odd bucks. When I got into that auto, I started poking at the auto fella as to why auto drivers were demanding such an "exoberant" fare and he started narrating his problems like "petrol" problem, mama issues and low meter fare per km. It was my turn to give a piece of my mind, I told him how my non chennai friends feel about Chennai auto drivers and poke fun at them? Also, I gave him a comparison of Bangalore ricks and Chennai ricks- and the perception it has on outsiders. he became silent. I took his silence in a positive way and finally got down from auto with a sense of relief. When will chennai get its Obama who could bring about the "CHANGE"?
1. Why DON'T 'namma chennai' auto fellas use METERS?
2. Are they not aware of basic manners when handling customers? I am not expecting the auto guys to speak in accented
english. But atleast, if a elderly thaatha/paaty needs a auto, he could reply appropriately.
3. Can't they have their License displayed on back of their seats for passenger notice like it happens in Bangalore?
4. When is LPG going to be made mandatory in chennai autos?


"Atithi Devo Bhava"
which means treat your guest like God. This is one of the biggest day crimes happening daily going
un-noticed.
Well, I was wondering when our auto fellas would have a change of heart? Is someone listening or is it falling on deaf ears? When will our administration wake up and take notice of this?

2 comments:

  1. nalla questions, i appreciate the fact that you were not ready to shell out 50/60 bucks for the auto, some people do it and auto fellows get used to it.
    Q1: "Namma chennai" autowalas meter use panna arambhicha athu "Namma" chennaiyave irukathupa.
    Q2: Basic manners are not going to get them extra money, there is no bonus for his behavior so it never strikes to them "ONLY" money matters.
    Q3: License xerox edukanum, atha katanum, apuram thonga vidanum, evalo procedures follow pannanuma?
    Q4: LPG ya apdina enna pa?

    i read the last couple of questions too... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Being a chennai guy myself, I thought auto meters is a show piece item. During my recent trip to bangalore (my first), I took an auto to MG Rd. Instead of waiting for him to put the meter, I asked the shocked auto guy, "How much till MG rd??" He recovered after a few seconds (and probably realised that I was from chennai), and said 50 bucks!! And I thinking it was a good bargain gladly accepted!!

    ReplyDelete