Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thank God Its Saturday...


The Robinson Crusoe Experience!

For a change, this weekend was planned quite in advance by buddy Sam. We had Paulie coming down from kangaroo land(Australia) for christmas vacation. It was decided to meet up for a "Robinson Cru-soe" english play. Well guys, when sam had asked me while booking tickets,I had no idea what this show was about. Still, I half-heartedly agreed as my priority was on meeting up with Paulie after a long time.
The show was supposed to start @ 3 pm while I landed up at egmore museum auditorium by 3.10 pm. Sam rushed me in as Jaya had made sure we got the best seats in the house. While entering I saw few of the posters of the show and had the perception that it was a kid's event. I didn't want to play spoilsport and entered the hall with least expectations. There was a grand entrance with a pale looking guy entering from the crowd with a comical makeup loosely dressed up introducing himself as "mama". Well, I was cursing under my breath 'not another "mimickry" performance, show me some creativity ppl'. Two minutes later, I was muttering 'hmm,not bad'. This mama narrator had a nice looking maamy for company. Mama and maamy introduced most of the characters of the play like friday, sunday, holiday ;)
It was a theatrical journey involving the audience to a large extent with peppy music which was quite a good experience. There was this friday character(a guy dressed as a voluptous gal showing off its assests) looking out for a guy to mate. Lets call this he/she whatever as Friday to avoid the gender confusion. 'Friday' was hunting for a person to mate not just on stage but off stage as well which meant Friday was searching for a bakra amongst the crowd as well.

Guys a prelude here- Sam and Jaya had been watching this show for almost 4 years now if I am right. I was 'allocated' the corner seat which meant I was the nearest one amongst us in the 'bakra' zone. Initially, when I sat down I thought I had the best view and was thankful to sam but after seein
g 'friday' walking on the narrow path zone gave me the chills. When I turned to my friends, I could see a sarcastic smile on all 3 faces(Paulie, Sam & J) as if they were waiting for 'friday' to pounce on me. I could sense their wicked plan now. I had to turn away and avoid focus when 'friday' was doing her 'ramp' walk on the narrow zone near me. This 'friday' did almost 3 -4 ramp walks and everytime it came near me my heart stopped beating virtually. Guys, It was cruel, poor me.. But on the other hand, there were quite a few 'beautiful' characters on screen. The one who impressed me with her skills was a villianious secretary to the 'king of the land'. This hot siren really impressed me and painted the auditorium RED. Quite a impressive performance. I could understand why 'mama' was eyeing for her. Maamy (mama's foil) need not to be left behind, she was quite good too in terms of looks and acting.
The music was in synch with the choreography and was a huge plus. It was supposed to be a kid's play and it had a lots of cute kiddies dancing for the jingles.
I really had to appreciate the perfect timing and synch of all characters in the play. It had minimal flaws and was almost perfectly executed. I understood it should have taken a lot of a hard work & painstaking effort to get them there, mainly the kids.They were entertaining with nice cha-cha and gr8 ga-ga.I guess, it really payed off well, Hats off!
There were 2 faces in the play One of which reminded a guy in my college(Denver) and other of an ex-
colleague.We (myself and Sam) made it a point to personally meet 'mama' and appreciate him but that fella seemed to be more keen on concentrating to the gal standing next to us. Hmmm, a true male species ;)
The best part of the play was towards the end with a superb social message driven across after a "lived-happily-ever-after" climax and it took a few minutes for the oldies in the audience to get the real message which was being screwed into their heads "Whatever you drive, wear safety" .
All of us were laughing our heads off throughout the play and Sam deserves a special mention here, not just for planning this but also for the exclusive snaps clicked.. Thats it Folks ;)

Coming up next is my Chepauk Cricket experience which is put on hold as I need to upload a few videos that I shot..





No comments:

Post a Comment